What does the Bible say about laziness?
I would like to start off by saying that some people are struggling with laziness, but it’s not because they choose to be slothful. Some people are always tired because of a bad sleeping pattern, sleep deprivation, bad eating, thyroid problems, lack of exercise, etc. If anyone is having trouble with fighting laziness. Check out these things first.
Scripture has a lot to say on this topic. Clearly we see that laziness is a sin and it also leads to poverty.
Some people would rather sleep in their bed all day rather than making a living and that will be their downfall. Laziness is a curse, but work is a blessing.
God worked for 6 days and on the 7th day He rested. God put Adam in the garden to work and take care of it. God provides for us through work. Since the beginning we were commanded to work.
2 Thessalonians 3:10 “For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.”
Being a sloth brings down your confidence and motivation. Slowly you start growing a bum mentality. It can soon turn into a disastrous lifestyle for some.
We have to grasp the concept of working hard. There is always something to do, but sometimes we would rather procrastinate. The gospel always needs to be preached.
Work hard in everything you do because working always brings profit, but too much sleep brings disappointment and shame. When you’re lazy not only do you suffer, but other people suffer as a result of it. Work to help others. Ask the Lord to strengthen your hands and to remove any slothfulness in your body.
Christian quotes about laziness
“Hard work pays off in the future but laziness pays off now.”
“Many say they can’t get God’s guidance, when they really mean they wish He would show them an easier way.”Winkie Pratney
“A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault.” John Henry Newman
“Work is always healthier for us than idleness; it is always better to wear out shoes than sheets.” C. H. Spurgeon
“Laziness may appear attractive but work gives satisfaction.” Anne Frank
“Do not be lazy. Run each day’s race with all your might, so that at the end you will receive the victory wreath from God. Keep on running even when you have had a fall. The victory wreath is won by him who does not stay down, but always gets up again, grasps the banner of faith and keeps on running in the assurance that Jesus is Victor.” Basilea Schlink
“The lazy Christian has his mouth full of complaints, when the active Christian has his heart full of comforts.” — Thomas Brooks
“By doing nothing men learn to do evil things. It is easy slipping out of an idle life into an evil and wicked life. Yes, an idle life is of itself evil, for man was made to be active, not to be idle. Idleness is a mother-sin, a breeding-sin; it is the devil’s cushion – on which he sits; and the devil’s anvil – on which he frames very great and very many sins.” Thomas Brooks
“The devil visits idle men with his temptations. God visits industrious men with His favors.” Matthew Henry
“The Christian ministry is difficult, and we must not be lazy or trite. However, we often place burdens upon ourselves and make demands upon ourselves that are not according to the will of God. The more I know God and understand His perfect work on my behalf, the more I am able to rest.” Paul Washer
The 3 types of laziness
Physical – Neglecting work and duties.
Mental – Common among kids in school. Taking the easy way out. Trying to take shortcuts. Get rich quick schemes.
Spiritual – Neglecting to pray, read Scripture, use God-given talents, etc.
What does God say about laziness?
1. Proverbs 15:19 The path of lazy people is like a thorny hedge, but the road of decent people is an [open] highway.
2. Proverbs 26:14-16 Like a door on its hinges, a lazy man turns back and forth on his bed.Lazy people are too lazy to lift the food from their plate to their mouth.Lazy people think they are seven times smarter than the people who really have good sense.
3. Proverbs 18:9 Whoever is lazy regarding his work is also a brother to the master of destruction.
4. Proverbs 10:26-27 Lazy people irritate their employers, like vinegar to the teeth or smoke in the eyes.Fear of the LORD lengthens one’s life, but the years of the wicked are cut short.
5. Ezekiel 16:49 Sodom’s sins were pride, gluttony, and laziness, while the poor and needy suffered outside her door.
6. Proverbs 19:24 “A lazymanburies his hand in the bowl, And will not so much as bring it to his mouth again.”
7. Proverbs 21:25 “The desire of the lazymankills him, For his hands refuse to labor.”
8. Proverbs 22:13 “The lazy person claims, “There’s a lion out there! If I go outside, I might be killed!”
9. Ecclesiastes 10:18 “Laziness leads to a sagging roof; idleness leads to a leaky house.”
10. Proverbs 31:25-27 “She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. 26 When she speaks, her words are wise, and she gives instructions with kindness. 27 She carefully watches everything in her household and suffers nothing from laziness.”
Follow the example of the ant.
11. Proverbs 6:6-9 You lazy people, you should watch what the ants do and learn from them. Ants have no ruler, no boss, and no leader. But in the summer, ants gather all of their food and save it. So when winter comes, there is plenty to eat. You lazy people, how long are you going to lie there? When will you get up?
We are to put off laziness and we are to be hard workers.
12. Proverbs 10:4-5 Lazy hands bring poverty,but hard-working hands lead to wealth.Whoever harvests during summer acts wisely,but the son who sleeps during harvest is disgraceful.
13. Proverbs 13:4 The appetite of the sluggard craves but gets nothing, but the desire of the diligent will be abundantly satisfied.
14. Proverbs 12:27 The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
15. Proverbs 12:24 Work hard and become a leader; be lazy and become a slave.
16. Proverbs 14:23 “All brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.”
17. Revelation 2:2 “I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked people, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false.”
Poverty is the result of thecontinuoussin of laziness.
18. Proverbs 20:13 If you love sleep, you will end in poverty. Keep your eyes open, and there will be plenty to eat!
19. Proverbs 21:5 Good planning and hard work lead to prosperity, but hasty shortcuts lead to poverty.
20. Proverbs 21:25 Despite their desires, the lazy will come to ruin, for their hands refuse to work.
21. Proverbs 20:4 The slacker does not plow during planting season; at harvest time he looks, and there is nothing.
22. Proverbs 19:15 Laziness throws one into a deep sleep, and an idle person will go hungry.
23. 1 Timothy 5:8If anyone does not take care of his own relatives, especially his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
A godly woman is not lazy.
24. Proverbs 31:13 “She seeks out wool and linen [with care] and works with willing hands.”
25. Proverbs 31:16-17 She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.
26. Proverbs 31:19 Her hands are busy spinning thread, her fingers twisting fiber.
27. Ephesians 5:15-16 So be careful how you live. Don’t live like fools, but like those who are wise.Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days.
28. Hebrews 6:12 “We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.”
29. Romans 12:11 “Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically.”
30. Colossians 3:23 Whatever you do, work at it wholeheartedly as though you were doing it for the Lord and not merely for people.
31. 1 Thessalonians 4:11 and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you.
32. Ephesians 4:28 The thief must no longer steal. Instead, he must do honest work with his own hands, so that he has something to share with anyone in need.
33. 1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, orwhatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
Slothfulness leads to procrastination and excuses.
34. Proverbs 22:13 The slacker says, “There’s a lion outside! I’ll be killed in the public square!”
35. Proverbs 26:13 The lazy person claims, “There is a lion in the road! There’s a lion in the streets!”
Examples of laziness in the Bible
36. Titus 1:12 “One of Crete’s own prophets has said it: “Cretans are always liars, evil brutes, lazy gluttons.”
37 Matthew 25:24-30 Then the servant who had been given one bag of gold came to the master and said, ‘Master, I knew that you were a hard man. You harvest things you did not plant. You gather crops where you did not sow any seed. So I was afraid and went and hid your money in the ground. Here is your bag of gold.The master answered, ‘You are a wicked and lazy servant! You say you knew that I harvest things I did not plant and that I gather crops where I did not sow any seed. So you should have put my gold in the bank. Then, when I came home, I would have received my gold back with interest.“So the master told his other servants, ‘Take the bag of gold from that servant and give it to the servant who has ten bags of gold. Those who have much will get more, and they will have much more than they need. But those who do not have much will have everything taken away from them.’ Then the master said, ‘Throw that useless servant outside, into the darkness where people will cry and grind their teeth with pain.’
38. Exodus 5:17 “But Pharaoh shouted, “You’re just lazy! Lazy! That’s why you’re saying, ‘Let us go and offer sacrifices to the LORD.”
39. Proverbs 24:30-32 “I passed by the field of the lazy man, by the grape-vines of the man without understanding. 31 And see, it was all grown over with thorns. The ground was covered with weeds, and its stone wall was broken down. 32 When I saw it, I thought about it. I looked and received teaching.”
40. Ezekiel 16:49 “Sodom’s sins were pride, gluttony, and laziness, while the poor and needy suffered outside her door.”
- I Have A Habit Of Running
- Biblical Reasons To Exercise
- Wasting Time
- Christian Productivity: How To Rest Without Feeling Guilty
- Bible Verses About Poverty
- Bible Verses About Hard Work
- Dealing with Criticism
- Bible Verses About Sleep
- Idle Hands
- Doing Your Best
What is the sin of laziness? ›
Sloth has also been defined as a failure to do things that one should do, though the understanding of the sin in antiquity was that this laziness or lack of work was simply a symptom of the vice of apathy or indifference, particularly an apathy or boredom with God.Which verse in the Bible talks about laziness? ›
Proverbs 13:4 – “The soul of the lazy man desires, and has nothing; but the soul of the diligent shall be made rich.” The lazy man desires what hard working people want: house, food, vacations, money for college and retirement. But the lazy man's desires remain unsatisfied, while the diligent gain wealth.What does the Bible say about working hard and not being lazy? ›
“The desires of the lazy will kill them, because their hands refuse to do anything.” The Good News: A lazy, uninspired person will not get anything done and refuses to do work. Aspire to avoid all temptations of doubt and slothfulness, and you'll thrive in life.
For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat." We hear that some among you are idle. They are not busy; they are busybodies. Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the bread they eat.What is an example of a sloth sin? ›
While laziness is certainly an element of sloth, there's more to this sin than just laziness. In Hit List, Brian Hedges defines the sin of sloth with four characteristics: (1) carelessness, (2) unwillingness to act, (3) half-hearted effort, and (4) becoming easily discouraged by any possible difficulty.How do you overcome sloth sin? ›
- Focus on one task at a time, and remain yoked to the work God has given you at each moment of every day.
- Do a daily examen: Did I do the tasks I needed to today? If not, what got in the way? ...
- Analyze where you may have lost hope in your life. Dream again. ...
- Ask God to help you.
It has also been shown that laziness can render one apathetic to reactant mental health issues such as anger, anxiety, indifference, substance abuse, and depression.What is Colossians 3 17? ›
Colossians 3:17, NASB: Whatever you do in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father. Colossians 3:17, NLT: And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father.What is Proverbs 22 29? ›
Proverbs 22:29, ESV: Do you see a man skillful in his work? He will stand before kings; he will not stand before obscure men. Proverbs 22:29, KJV: Seest thou a man diligent in his business? he shall stand before kings; he shall not stand before mean men.Is it a sin to be a sloth? ›
The Catholic Church teaches that faith in God's love encompasses the call and the obligation to respond with sincere love to divine charity. Sloth is a sin against God's love in that it goes so far as to refuse the joy that comes from God and to be repelled by divine goodness.
What is Proverbs 14 23? ›
Proverbs 14:23, NIV: All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty. Proverbs 14:23, ESV: In all toil there is profit, but mere talk tends only to poverty. Proverbs 14:23, KJV: In all labour there is profit: but the talk of the lips tendeth only to penury.What does 2nd Thessalonians 3 10 mean? ›
The words of 2 Thessalonians 3:10 are critical. “If anyone is not willing to work, neither should he eat.” God regards shirking work as a grave offense, so grave that the church is called to correct its idle members. Paul exhorts the church to “warn” those dodging their obligation to work (1 Thess.What does 2 Thessalonians 3 11 mean? ›
Literally, it means to be working around with the idea of meddling in other people's business. There is a play on words in the Greek — they are not busy in their own business but busy in the business of others. These people bustle about, trifling needlessly in matters, not their own.What is worse than lazy? ›
While in some cases nearly identical to lazy, slothful implies a temperamental inability to act promptly or speedily when action or speed is called for.What is the deadliest sin? ›
Pride (superbia), also known as hubris (from Ancient Greek ὕβρις) or futility. It is considered the original and worst of the seven deadly sins on almost every list, the most demonic. It is also thought to be the source of the other capital sins. Pride is the opposite of humility.What is sloth vs laziness? ›
Sloth and laziness, are voluntary, with this difference, that sloth, implies, utter in|activity, an absolute aversion to work; laziness, an inclination, but, a fear of trou|ble and fatigue: whereas, sluggishness, is, often, involuntary; proceeding, sometimes, from constitution, and, is discovered, by its dull, heavy ...What is the difference between slothful and laziness? ›
lazy suggests a disinclination to work or to take trouble. indolent suggests a love of ease and a dislike of movement or activity. slothful implies a temperamental inability to act promptly or speedily when action or speed is called for.What is God's punishment for sloth? ›
Sloth. Sloth is a habitual disinclination to exertion. This sin is unique in that it's the only one characterized by a lack of something rather than an abundance of something. For your slothful ways, your eternal home in hell will be a pit of snakes (a pit of sloths would be better).Is sloth The deadliest sin? ›
Sloth is considered one of the deadly sins, because it reflects a complete disinclination toward care, love, contribution, and faith—virtues that open upon our true dignity, purpose, and eternal destiny.What is slothful behavior? ›
Slothfulness is about a disinclination to action or labor. The slothful person is sluggish, lazy, idle, or inactive because of a love of ease or aversion to work.
What are the characteristics of a lazy person? ›
- First, lazy people tend to postpone work later. ...
- Second, lazy people blame others and the environment and try to make excuses like this. ...
- Third, a lazy person should do 'what they want to do' rather than 'work to do'.
Having a lazy day gives your brain a break and your body a chance to recover. It also reduces stress which could help you make more productive in your non-lazy days. It is also an easy way to prevent burnout and being susceptible to chronic diseases. "If you don't pick a day to relax, your body will pick it for you.What is Philippians 4 13? ›
13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.What is Ephesians 5 8? ›
Ephesians 5:8, NLT: For once you were full of darkness, but now you have light from the Lord. So live as people of light!What is Romans 12 1? ›
“Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God — this is your true and proper worship” (12:1).Why am I lazy and don't want to do anything? ›
Laziness can be caused by a number of things, for instance, a lack of motivation, no clear direction or interests, or even a feeling of overwhelm. There is also our evolutionary trait. We are hardwired to preserve our energy and lay low.What are the types of laziness? ›
There are three kinds of laziness: comfort orientation, loss of heart, and “couldn't care less.” These are three ways that we become stuck in debilitating habitual patterns. Exploring them with curiosity, however, dissolves their power.Is laziness a mental condition? ›
Laziness may be a momentary state or an issue of character, but it is not a psychological disorder. Further, if you're concerned you might be lazy, ask yourself if you're feeling deeply sad, have disengaged from things you used to love, and are having problems with sleep, energy levels, or your ability to concentrate.What is Philippians 4 19? ›
Like Philippians 4:13, Philippians 4:19 is a popular verse that's often misused. After thanking the Philippians for generously supporting him, the Apostle Paul writes, “And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.”What is Ecclesiastes 3 13? ›
Ecclesiastes 3:13, ESV: also that everyone should eat and drink and take pleasure in all his toil—this is God's gift to man. Ecclesiastes 3:13, KJV: And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labour, it is the gift of God.
What is Ecclesiastes 9 10? ›
Ecclesiastes 9:10 New International Version (NIV)
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.
Gluttony is eating or drinking inordinately, contrary to reason. It is a sin opposed to the virtue of temperance because it is the immoderate indulgence in the delights of food or drink. Gluttony can involve more than merely eating too much.What color is sloth sin? ›
Sloth: light blue and goat. Greed: yellow and frog. Gluttony: pink and pig. Lust: red and cow.Why is gluttony a sin? ›
In Christianity, it is considered a sin if the excessive desire for food causes it to be withheld from the needy. Some Christian denominations consider gluttony one of the seven deadly sins.What is Ephesians 4 28? ›
“Thieves must give up stealing; rather let them labor and work honestly with their own hands, so as to have something to share with the needy” (Eph. 4:28). Though pointed immediately at those who steal, Paul's advice is relevant to all Christians.What is Proverbs 11 25? ›
Proverbs 11:25 “A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.” | By City on a Hill Church International | Facebook.What is Galatians 6 9? ›
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.What is Romans 6 23? ›
Romans 6:23 NLT
“For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.”
Romans 13:10, ESV: Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. Romans 13:10, KJV: Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. Romans 13:10, NASB: Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the Law.What is Psalm 14 1? ›
Psalm 14 1
The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good. The LORD looks down from heaven on the sons of men to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God.
What does Luke 21 5 6 mean? ›
Reflection. In the Gospel, Jesus told his disciples that everything on earth will not last because there will come a time when everything we build will be destroyed. However, we are reminded not be afraid and always be prepared by doing good and continuing the mission of Christ.What does 2 Thessalonians 3 7 mean? ›
Any believer who desires a life of loafing ought to rid himself of that desire. Christians ought to choose, instead, to follow Paul's example and also the example of our Lord Jesus, who ministered from dawn to dusk to do His Father's will.What does 2 Thessalonians 3 14 mean? ›
Paul commands the faithful believers to clearly identify a disobedient, idle person, and withhold social contact from him until he repented and quit being idle. This seems to imply a less-severe form of rejection than what Paul prescribed for profound sin in 1 Corinthians 5.How do you say lazy in a nice way? ›
Inactivity and laziness are a choice. You will be happier if you work toward reducing stress and anxiety. Consciously relax, then meet your challenges with renewed energy.What does laziness lead to? ›
Is being lazy or procrastinating bad for my health? Putting things off may contribute to some psychological issues, such as anxiety, poor mood, and decreased well-being.How do you break a curse of laziness? ›
- Make your goals manageable. Setting unrealistic goals and taking on too much can lead to burnout. ...
- Don't expect yourself to be perfect. ...
- Use positive instead of negative self-talk. ...
- Create a plan of action. ...
- Use your strengths. ...
- Recognize your accomplishments along the way. ...
- Ask for help. ...
- Avoid distraction.
Studies of motivation suggest that laziness may be caused by a decreased level of motivation, which in turn can be caused by over-stimulation or excessive impulses or distractions. These increase the release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter responsible for reward and pleasure.Are we born with laziness? ›
It turns out we are not biologically programmed to do as little as possible. Indeed, we thrive on activity. Or at least, a good balance between being busy and being able to rest.Are you born with laziness? ›
Laziness isn't something we're born with. It's a behavior we learned along the way. To become mentally tough, we need to overcome obstacles such as the bad habits we've learned that are keeping us from achieving our goals.
Is laziness a choice? ›
Inactivity and laziness are a choice. You will be happier if you work toward reducing stress and anxiety. Consciously relax, then meet your challenges with renewed energy.What is an example of a slothful person? ›
Slothful people tend to sleep too much and lie around on the couch. Being slothful at work could get you fired, and slothful students won't do well at school.What type of person is a sloth? ›
A sloth is actually a slow-moving, tree-dwelling mammal, but it has become a synonym for "lazybones." Slug also doubles as the name of an animal and a term for someone who is lazy, slow or lethargic.